Are you looking for best log splitter? If you happen to be someone who splits wood the old-fashioned way, you probably know how painful the process can get. Seriously, there is perhaps nothing more laborious than swinging an axe time after time just to collect some firewood. Here’s an idea – why not give log splitter a try?
A log splitter is a machine that easily cuts through wood and can be plugged onto your home’s power outlet. Compared to gas log splitters, the electric variant is much more cost efficient as well as easy to maintain. Not to mention, they don’t produce much of toxic gases as well. But how do you choose the right splitter? Don’t worry; In this guide you’ll find information about the five top log splitter in the market and how you can pick out the best one for your needs. So, keep on reading!
5 Best Wood Log Splitter For The Money
Top Rated Log Splitter Reviews
Powerhouse XM-380 7-Ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter
Coming first on our list is a product, manufactured by a renowned company. This splitter model by PowerHouse promises to give you the backache free log splitting experience. The 7-ton Powerhouse Electric log splitter comes with two handles where the user can place their hands without having to worry about accidents while the logs get split.
It can cut wood that is 20 inches in maximum length and 12 inches in diameter. With such remarkable features, it’s not difficult to see why this model is so popular. That’s not all because the product has plenty more to offer. Read More
Key Features and Specifications
- The item comes with a 3 HP, 7 Ton motor that operates at 2500 W and chops wood at the rate of 3500 rpm
- Has log cutting capacity up to 21.5 inches in length and maximum of 12 inches in diameter
- 15.7 inches is the Ram travel distance
- Offers decent portability thanks to its weight of only 104 pounds
- Provides 7 ton of splitting power, which is enough to slice through any piece of wood
- No need to worry about toxicity buildup because it’s an electric powered model
- Boasts of having the capability to cut hundred pieces of wood within just an hour
- Safety feature is greatly enhanced thanks to the handles
- The handles also make this log splitter easy to move around
- Comes completely set up, right out of the box
- The aspect of portability could have been better because 104 lbs is not exactly light
- Some users believe the price is too high
WEN 56206 6-Ton Electric Log Splitter
If you’re looking for an electric splitter that has the power to cut pieces of wood with close to no effort at all, then you need to give the WEN 56206 a try. This model has certain features that make it perfect for anyone who wants to split wet and hard log pieces. The size of this model makes it capable enough to handle wood measuring 20.5 inches in length and 10 inches in diameter.
All these benefits combine to give you a smooth log splitting experience, which you are unlikely to get in any other model.
Key Features and Specifications
- This product is powered by a superior electric motor of 2 HP and 15 A with excellent efficiency
- Packs up to 12,000 pounds of solid log cracking force
- The comfort grip handles and 6-inch tires provide commendable portability
- Thanks to the built-in log cradle, the logs stay on track at all times
- The electric motor uses household current to provide excellent rate of wood cutting
- Since it’s powered by an electric motor, you need not worry about having to use gas or other combustibles.
- Can handle very hard pieces of wood due to its pure steel built
- The two comfort handles combined with 6-inch tires makes the machine easy to move around
- Has motor speed of 3400 RPM to split wood at maximum efficiency
- It takes 25 seconds to complete a full cycle, which is slightly above normal time
- The rubber feet doesn’t provide the grip necessary, according to some users
Boss Industrial ES7T20 7-Ton Log Splitter
This 7-ton log splitter from Boss Industrial is not your everyday, ordinary Joe. It is, in fact, a product that’s been executed close to perfection in many different ways. The very first impression of the machine is bound to leave you admiring its aesthetic style. As far as performance is concerned, you can stay confident that this will be one of the perfect log splitters you have ever owned.
If you need to split some serious wood, getting this one-handed log splitter might just be the thing what you always wanted. Keep on reading to find out its list of features and benefits. Read More
Key Features and Specifications
- Even though this model may lack the bells and whistles of other 7 ton machines, it’s still a worthy purchase in many ways
- The 2 HP electric motor has the ability to cut through thick wood with no problems at all
- It runs on a 115 VAC model that draws up to 1500 W for power and can handle 10 to 20 inches of logs having 12 inches diameter easily
- No fear of harmful combustion because it runs exclusively on electric current
- Delivers a massive force of 1400 lbs to eat away the hardest of wood
- Built-in side rails help in keeping the machine stable while it splits
- One-handed operation capability makes this product extremely user-friendly
- Features a patented hydraulic system
- The log splitter stand could have been of better quality
- The weight of the model measures at 106 lbs
Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter
This 4 Ton Electric Log splitter is not just good looking, but is equally capable of shredding through large logs of wood. What makes this model unique is its robust steel construction frame that provides excellent durability during operations. Even though this product is priced at the higher end of electric powered splitter models, the two year warranty combined with the rest of the features make it worthy of a try.
You don’t have to be a pro in handling these machines to try out this log splitter. The features are all user-friendly and have been designed to let you split wood from the comfort of your home.
Key Features and Specifications
- This is a 1500 W log splitter that runs on standard household current
- It has the capacity to split log that extend up to 20 inches in length and the 12 inches in diameter for most kind of wood
- The all steel frame construction not only provides balance but also ensures that you get long term usage from this machine
- Packs powerful 4 tons of RAM splitting force to make your log splitting endeavors a breeze
- The ground fault breaker offers stellar protection against power fluctuations
- Provides enormous power with the 1.75 HP, 14 AMP motor
- Sturdy steel construction promises long life and excellent control
- Can even split green wood with ultimate ease thanks to its efficiency
- No worries of inhaling poisonous gas because it’s electric
- The wheels can turn out to be inadequate in rough terrain
- You might need to buy additional accessory stand for proper balance
c Log Splitters XM-580 9 Ton Electric Hydraulic Horizontal Log Splitter
Coming last on our list is another outstanding product that’s been built to impress from the get go. This hydraulic horizontal splitter packs a solid punch with its 2200 W, 3.5 HP motor that runs on regular home electricity. Consistency is one of its strong suits and its ease of use is something else that is more than commendable.
Like the other models on our list, this product is also easy to use, and no experience is necessary to operate it. The number of features it efficiently packs into a seemingly portable package makes this best electric splitter well worth buying.
Key Features and Specifications
- Boasting of having the brand name Powerhouse, this machine sports a contemporary design and effortless functionality
- This powerful log splitter that can cut through wood of 21 inches in maximum length
- It’s not too heavy and only weighs 118 lbs
- It’s quieter than many of its competing products, and doesn’t produce any fumes
- You don’t even need an air compressor to make this machine function; just place it on the ground or on the bench to let it rip
- Thanks to the patented hydraulic system, torque is improved by 45%
- The wheels make this electric log splitter easy to move
- Blends contemporary design and advanced functions with utmost ease
- Can cut through logs measuring up to 21 inches in length
- No annoying sounds or toxic fumes that are associated with gas splitters
- The price can be off-putting to some people as it is on the higher end
- Not exactly the lightest model available on the market
Types of Log Splitters
Now that we’ve covered the best log splitters you can buy, let’s take a look at the different varieties available in the market. Since a log splitter is likely going to be a long-term investment, it’s crucial that you know the pros and cons of each. Don’t worry; it is not rocket science.
The three different types of log splitters are gas splitters, electric splitters, and manual splitters. If you want to know which one is the right for you, keep on reading the next section.
As the name implies, these types of splitters require some degree of human assistance to function. Manual log splitters usually tend to be either foot powered or hand powered, meaning they’re likely to be easier than swinging an axe in full force. Sure, some manual splitters operate with the help of hydraulics, but they cost a lot more.
In simple words, manual log splitters are ideal for those who want to move away from the grind of using an axe and only burn wood occasionally. Moreover, these devices are lightweight and can be stored easily within a small space.
This is the type of splitter that is considered to be the most powerful and is meant for enthusiastic wood burners. Gas splitters are ideal for cutting logs that are of a larger diameter and can be carried to the spot where you can put it to use. Since these machines run on gas, there is no need for electricity. However, the downside is that it’s close to impossible to operate these machines indoors due to the engine exhausts. These are also the most expensive types of splitters owing to their power, efficiency, and size. Regular maintenance is also essential if you want to keep it at its prime shape.
Like with any other product having a gas engine, this machine also requires changing of all filters, spark plugs, air filter, and fuel additions to get optimum performance. So keep these points in mind before buying.
Electric log splitters are undoubtedly the most popular in the industry owing to their performance and compact size. If you’re an occasional wood burner, having a splitter of this sort will be enough for your needs. These machines essentially function the same way as gas splitters, with the exception being electric motor powering the hydraulics in this case.
There is also an enormous amount of flexibility that can be of help because you can set the splitter either on a bench, on a stand, or at the ground level. Moreover, electric splitters are more cost-effective because you don’t need to spend on gas to keep them functioning.
Apart from portability, another great feature of these machines is that you can literally use it anywhere you want. Whether it is indoors or outdoors, electric splitters are ready to be used as long as there is a standard electrical outlet available. Hate working on maintenance? Then relax, because the splitters don’t need as much of attention as their gas counterparts.
Factors To Consider When Buying the Best Log Splitter
If you’re wondering how you can get the most bang for your buck when buying a best quality log splitter, then this portion of the guide will be of great help. To pick the best wood splitter, you need to have some knowledge of the intricacies of these machines.
However, there is no reason to get yourself all worked up because we’ve got just the right advice for you. Some of the things you should keep in mind while buying are:
Appropriate Branch Diameter:
One of the important aspects that you must bear in mind is the average branch diameter that you intend to cut. This is crucial because you must choose the appropriate splitter for the job. Generally, a 4-ton splitter should be adequate if you’re used to cutting branches from the trees in your yard.
However, to chop down larger and thicker branches, you might need to choose a machine that goes up to 30 ton. Choosing the correct wood splitter will determine the difference between success and failure, which is why you need to ensure you know what you’re buying.
The hardness rating of a log splitter determines the speed and efficiency in which it can cut through woods. To understand what splitter rating you need, think about the logs you work with on a regular basis. For softer woods that you’d usually find on trees nearby, a splitter having a hardness rating of 600 pounds should be enough.
Currently, you can purchase log splitters that have a maximum hardness rating of 2200 pounds and are perfect for splitting harder woods such as elm, dogwood, and hickory.
Horizontal or Vertical:
Log splitters are mostly positioned in two ways – horizontal or vertical. The horizontal splitter requires you to place the log on a flat surface, while the vertical splitter allows you to push the logs in from the top down. Hey, you can even buy a splitter that functions both ways as manufacturers are now making combo splitters as well.
Manual vs. Gas vs. Electric Splitter:
Next, you need to decide what type of splitter you want to buy. To get an in-depth analysis on this section, please refer to the previous section of our guide, “types of log splitters.” But to explain, in short, your choice should always be based on the kind of would you want to chop, the preferred mode of power, and the overall budget.
The cycle time denotes how much time a splitter takes to cut through a log. This feature varies according to the size and efficiency of a splitter, with smaller units taking as low as 2 to 3 seconds to cut through small branches and larger units taking up to 20 seconds for big logs.
Safety of the Model:
Personal safety and security is of paramount and should never be compromised with. Whenever you’re buying a good log splitter, always look into its safety features like automatic stop that forces the machine to come to a halt before arriving in proximity to your hand. Also, look into splitters that have attached wheels because they provide better portability.
Benefits of Using Log Splitters
Now that we are done discussing various features of log splitters, you’ve probably realized that the electric variants tend to be much superior. But if you’re still having second thoughts, then these reasons will help clear up your mind.
- Use it indoors or outdoors
In the mood to split some wood when it’s snowing or cold outside? Then an electric log splitter is just what you need. With this type of splitter, you don’t have to worry about the buildup of carbon monoxide, which makes this choice especially useful for people living in colder regions.
Splitting wood in the garage, barn, or a semi-enclosed porch is not a good option for gas models due to the toxic fumes. However, a splitter having an electric motor will be both safe and comfortable. Log splitters are also suitable to be used outside, and all you need is a heavy duty extension cord that connects to a power plug.
- No more eardrum-shattering sound
Electric log splitters tend to be much quieter than those running on gas engines. This is due to the mechanism that goes behind creating such models and advanced technology that is supposed to give you better comfort. So, the next time you’re about to split some wood, you don’t have to be extra careful not to wake your neighbors up.
You can’t split as much as you want indoors with no harm coming to your ears due to the sound. If you value peace and quiet, then this is one more reason for considering log splitters running on electricity.
- Much More Environment-Friendly
As you know, gas powered log splitters produce carbon monoxide due to its internal combustion. This makes the gas variety unsustainable for people who have the least bit of care about the environment. Sure, gas engines are capable of producing a greater amount of power, but they also produce hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides.
These are fumes that contribute to dangerous weather effects such as acid rain and smog. Electric gas engines do not have any such problem because they do not need any form of fossil fuel to function.
- No More Spending time doing heavy-duty maintenance
One of the main benefits of electric log splitters is that they do not require as much maintenance as their gas powered counterparts. People love using them because there is no need to change oil, change the oil filter, add gas, or even replace the spark plugs for that matter. Just carefully storing it away when not in use would be good enough.
- No Risk of Spills
Because electric splitters do not require any gas or oil, you’ll never be at the risk of experiencing hazardous spills. Gas and oil spills are not only messy but highly flammable! One wrong move at the wrong time can mean a disaster for you and your family. Stay on the safer side; get an electrically operated log splitter. Besides, you have much more choices in electric variants than with any other variety of log splitter.
When it comes to log splitters, you’d want to choose a model that’s able to keep up with your needs and provide some wiggle room to handle more work on occasions. But that doesn’t imply you spend dollars on the biggest and most shiny product out there. Due diligence is of utmost importance, and without it, you might be putting yourself at significant risk.
Thankfully, there are plenty of options available online and having a model of your choice delivered home is now as easy as counting 1 2 3. A best log splitter is no doubt a boon for everyone who wants firewood to keep their house warm. So go ahead and buy one before stocks run out!
Related Links :