Clearing your space with unsightly tree stumps may seem so hard but that is a common misconception. As long as you have to right tools to do the job, you can get the job done without having problems. When it comes to the removal of stumps, all you need is a stump grinder. A stump grinder is a high-tech mechanical solution to remove tree stumps without leaving behind a giant hole on the ground.
Powered by a petrol engine, a stump grinder uses hydraulic cylinders that rotate on high speed to chip away the tree stump. It is also more cost-effective and time saver.
Best Selling Tree Stump Grinder Comparison Chart
Top 5 Stump Grinders in The Year 2018
Powerking Stump Grinder
Nobody wants to have a lawn that looks as if it has been neglected with all those tree stumps. Whether you are new or not when it comes to beautifying your lawn, having the right tool is always the best move. In this case, one of the best solutions when it comes to getting rid of stumps is the Powerking Stump Grinder. Powerking Stump Grinder is an ideal tool for personal use and small projects.
This stump grinder is powered by a Kohler motor with 14 HP which can efficiently grind through stumps without failure. From softwood to hardwood, Powerking Stump Grinder can get rid of it smoothly.
Features and Specifications:
- It has a product dimension of 42 width x 51 diameter x 72 height in inches
- It weighs a total of 396 pounds
- It comes with a 12 inches diameter x 3.5 inches thick blade dimension
- It can cut through tree stumps that are 12 inches tall and 9 inches below the ground as its stump diameter capacity
- It uses a powerful Kohler motor with 14 HP
- It uses disc drum brakes to efficiently perform pivot cutting
- It uses gas as its power source
- It comes with a 3-year warranty
- Made with a solid built
- Easy to start and operate
- Available at a reasonable price compared with other models
- Built with safety features to ensure your welfare
- Powered by a durable and powerful motor
- Specially designed for fast and smooth stump grinding
- It is too heavy to transport
- Its throttle cable is a little longer than necessary
- Its electrical wires are thinner and weaker
NorthStar Compact Stump Grinder
Are you looking for a tool that can aid you anytime you need some help when it comes to stumps? Then, you better check out the NorthStar 160cc Honda GX160 Engine Compact Stump Grinder. The NorthStar 160cc Honda GX160 Engine Compact is no ordinary stump grinder that you can find on the market.
NorthStar holds a strong reputation in the industry for providing unbeatable products and services. Of course, NorthStar 160cc Honda GX160 Engine Compact Stump Grinder will not be left behind. In fact, this grinder can take care of any stump no matter how big it is.
Features and Specifications:
- It is powered by a Honda GX160 engine with ample firepower to clear your lawn with stumps
- Its portable design allows it to fit through even narrow entrances for storage
- It weighs only 135 pounds and can be easily transported using a truck, van, or a car
- It is built with a 9 2/3 inches diameter x 3/8 inches thick cutting wheel
- It comes with 4 carbide-tipped teeth that can effectively grind through any tree stump without failure
- It can grind stumps that are 10 inches above grade and 9 inches below grade
- Designed to last longer with a supreme built
- Complete with accessories for the job
- Comes with a very compact and sleek design
- Powered by a steadfast engine
- Efficiently performs with an impressive speed
- Does not require expertise and training to be operated properly
- It has stump grinding limits that is not suitable for big tasks
- It produces a loud noise that can be annoying
Bluebird Stump Grinder
A lot of people tend to lose hope when it comes to removing stumps. Aside from the fact that it is an exhausting and frustrating job, they don’t have the right tool to handle the job. Why use an ax, a shovel, or a saw if you can use a stump grinder? If your problem is a tree stump, the only problem that can solve your problem is a stump removal machine.
Of course, the fastest and the best way to do it is by stump grinding. The Bluebird GX390 Honda #SG1314B Engine Stump Grinder is more convenient and safe to use with all its features.
Features and Specifications:
- It is powered by a Honda GX390 engine that has a built-in cyclone air filter
- It runs with a gas-fueled motor with 13 HP/389 cc
- Its engine has 4-cycle OHV to ensure its optimum performance
- It utilizes a 14 inches x 3/8 inches cutting wheel with 3 cutting edges carbide-tipped teeth
- It is built with the latest cutting system that utilizes M1 technology
- It has a NORAM automatic centrifugal clutch that guarantees a steady and fast power supply
- It weighs 341 pounds
- It can make a cutting depth of up to 12 inches
- Works with a steady power supply
- Safe and convenient for all types of users
- Easier to use than ordinary stump grinders
- Boosted by a reliable mechanism that allows it to grind stumps faster
- It is powered by a high-quality Honda engine
- It is too expensive compared with other models on the market
- Its wheels are too small for its size and weight
15HP Gas Powered Walk Behind Stump Grinder
The 15HP Gas Powered Walk Behind Stump Grinder is one of the best choices if you want a machine that comes with updated features. Aside from being specially designed with tree stump grinding features, this machine is very user-friendly. In fact, you don’t have to be a professional stump remover to operate this machine. 15HP Gas Powered Walk Behind Stump Grinder is powered by a 15 HP motor and promises an impressive number of rotations per minute.
Its stroke system works in wonders which help it to perform efficiently using a gas fuel. This stump grinder uses an advanced recoil starting system which is really cool.
Features and Specifications:
- It weighs a total of 400 pounds
- It utilizes a motor with 15 HP 420cc that is run by gas
- It has a maximum output of 3,600 RPM and Ducar 4-stroke OHV engine type
- Its recoil starting system is upgraded to drum braking system with 12 inches cutting wheel and 9 sharp teeth
- Its cutting wheel is 3.55 inches thick can cut through 20.25 inches tall and 9 inches below ground stumps
- Its overall assembled size is upgraded into twin V belts with 13 inches thick tires
- Safe and convenient to use
- Easy to operate even without a professional training
- Very portable and easy to transport with its sleek design
- Uses more teeth to grind even the biggest tree stumps
- Made from durable materials to have a solid built
- Its weight can be a hindrance when transporting it
- Its tires can break down faster due to its weight
Hoc – Stump Grinder Tree Root Trunk Cutter
Are you having problems getting rid of those unsightly stumps within your lot? Then, consider your problem solved. When it comes to removing stumps that have been lying in your lot for months or even for years, Hoc HS – 2000 Honda GX390 Grinder Tree Root Trunk Cutter is the answer.
In fact, it doesn’t matter how long they have been lying there since this stump grinder surely knows how to grind. Using the most advanced technology features and Honda engine, Hoc HS – 2000 Honda GX390 Grinder Tree Root Trunk Cutter runs on gas proficiently.
Features and Specifications:
- It is built with drum brakes for stopping and keeping it steady in one place
- It uses a 13 HP 389 cc displacement and 4-stroke Honda GX390 motor with a heavy-duty welded frame
- Its sturdy carbide blade that is made from tungsten has 12 saw teeth and 12 inches cutting depth
- It is built with stop buttons and kill switches for emergency
- It weighs 254 pounds and runs on gas with a centrifugal clutch
- It has 2 pieces of double V belt and an ergonomic handle which is adjustable up to 4 height positions
- Works quick and smooth without delay
- Made from sturdy materials and welded frame
- More comfortable to use with its adjustable handle
- Moves with pneumatic and knobby tires to keep it steady
- Runs using a powerful Honda engine to perform the needed cutting depth
- It is very expensive
- It does not feature a child lock for safety
- It can take a little longer to finish bigger stumps
How to Choose the Best Stump Grinder?
- Two Types of Stump Grinders
Aside from the big difference between stump grinding and stump removal, there are still two kinds of stump grinders to consider. Thus, be sure to know whether you need a handlebar stump grinder or a track stump grinder.
- Handlebar Stump Grinder
The handlebar stump grinder is the most common model that you can find on the market and rental shops. It is considered as a conventional model and user-friendly so you can use it without so much hassle. Thus, handlebar stump grinders are the favorite models of gardeners since it is easier to move around. It has a built-in wheel and a handle that you can push back and forth wherever you need it. But instead of using controls to grind the stump, you have to manually move the handlebar stump grinder back and forth.
- Track Stump Grinder
Compared with the handlebar stump grinder, the track stump grinder uses a remote control to maneuver the machine. Instead of manually moving the stump grinder back and forth, you just have to stand behind it and use the controller. Thus, it is safe to say that a truck stump grinder is designed with more advanced features. One of the most common features that you can find on a track stump grinder is the Intelli-Sweep. This advanced feature allows users to sweep the track stump grinder faster and smoother in spite of its size and weight.
The speed of its wheel rotation can be adjusted as well according to your required speed. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the amount of load that is applied to the wheel when adjusting it. This means that the sweeping speed feature of the machine can reduce if you put too much resistance on it. Unlike handlebar stump grinders, track stump grinders can automatically adjust for your convenience though they are commonly larger.
- Cutting Ability
Another thing that you have to consider when buying a stump grinder it is cutting ability. Depending on how many stumps you need to cut per project, you can find the right model with better cutting ability. The faster you can grind a stump the more you can take care in a single project.
Clearly, using a small stump grinder means it is easier to carry and maneuver compared with bulky machines. The size does matters especially if you think you don’t have that much strength to move a bulky machine. Depending on your needs, you can get a best small stump grinder that you can move around easily in your garden or neighborhood. Smaller stump grinders are ideal for homeowners and require less space for storage but capable of performing efficiently. Small businesses also use smaller stump grinders for smaller projects.
But when it comes to covering up larger area with more stumps to get rid of, commercial stump grinders are the best-sellers. Though commercial stump grinders are generally bigger, they can grind bigger stumps faster than the smaller stumps.
Why Do You Need a Stump Grinder?
In some cases like yours, tree stumps are left after trees have fallen off or cut down. Even if you have a handy chainsaw, it is not the best tool to use in order to remove the remaining stump. If you really want to remove those stumps to clear your lawn, the best thing to do is to use a stump grinder. This is recommended to landowners especially if they want to prevent those stumps from regenerating a new tree.
Unlike other tools and methods of stump removal, the use of a stump grinder is the most effective. By grinding the stump little by little, you don’t have to worry about filling mulch on a large hole on your land. You can even use the wood chips from ground stump to fill other spots within your land. In addition, using advanced machinery like a stump grinder makes everything easier and faster than sweating all day. You don’t even need to strain your hands, shoulder, and back in the process. Operating a stump grinder is way easier than swinging an axe, or digging with a shovel.
Aside from being a time-saver, using a stump grinder is also more eco-friendly. Others use chemical removal which takes weeks to show a result once the chemical is completely absorbed by the stump. There is also a risk when it comes to using chemical removal. Without the proper knowledge, application, and protective gear, you could put your health into risks.
If you want to get rid of stumps without leaving a big hole on the ground, the best solution is a stump grinder. Removing stumps using a stump grinder require less time and effort since it does not need to remove the entire tree’s root ball. Removing the entire stump together with its root ball is considered as a really challenging task even for professional stump removers. It also leaves behind a huge hole on the ground which requires to be filled by wood chips or any mulch. If you use a high- quality stump grinder, you can even have a bonus wood chip and use it somewhere else.